I’ve been looking for new ways to add whole grains to our diet, and my latest addition is the wheat berry. They’re very basic and will absorb the flavor of whatever they’re mixed with, making them a good cold salad base.
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries (instructions for cooking wheat berries)
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6-10 Kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced (optional)
- 1 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Mix first five ingredients together to form the vinaigrette. Toss all ingredients together, except feta. Chill for one hour or up to one day. Add feta just before serving. Serve chilled.
My Tiny Kitchen Assistant isn’t a fan of salads, but he’s perfectly willing to eat the components (tomatoes and cucumbers) separately.